Pages

27 October 2011

On the Trail

I confess, I can hardly wait for tomorrow. After I drop my daughter off at a conference at Clemson U., I'll be heading over to my hometown to the Oconee County, SC court house in search of a specific court document and some land records. They have to do with a disagreement between a brother and a sister over a piece of land. The sister sued her brother and the case was appealed to the SC Supreme Court. I found the summary of the Supreme Court case recently in a search of Google Books. In it, I discovered my ggg grandmother Harriet's date of death and a little something about the quality of her life just before she died. I am hoping that the original case will give me more details.

Once I have those records in hand, I'll head over to the Office of Mesne Conveyance where the deeds are registered to locate the deed mentioned in the court proceedings. Perhaps I will find a few other deeds while I am there. This family did not generate a lot of paper, but they did own land so I hope there will be some new information hidden in the deeds.

From there I am planning to head out to the Bethel Presbyterian Church to revisit some graves, take a few more photos and get some GPS readings on the stones. Then back to Clemson to pick up my daughter and come home. It will be a nice day's work.

1 comment:

  1. I think I'm as excited for you trip as you are! What a great find. I hope you discover more information from the next documents!

    ReplyDelete